Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A632.9.3.RB - Shuck, Allison


The Role of Emotion in Decision Making

Unfortunately, there have been many instances through my life where my emotions have driven my decisions; especially as a young girl. I have to say that as I get older, my decisions are less effected by my emotions, or not as effected as they were in the past. However, I sometimes still let me emotions get the best of me.

One instance when I lost control of my emotions was when I failed my statistics exam. I had been studying for days and could not understand why I did so poorly. After receiving my grade, I decided to go see my boyfriend, hoping that he would make me feel better. But, on my way home from my boyfriend’s house, I started crying hysterically; I was so upset, I could not function! And, on top of that I was not paying attention to what I was doing, thus I failed to yield to an emergency vehicle at a four way stop.  Consequently, I got into a car accident and it was all my fault. Needless to say, the outcome of this situation did not end well.

Another instance when I lost control of my emotions was when I found out that my younger sister was physically abusing herself. We were on a cruise and she was in her bathing suit; I looked down at her legs and noticed scares. As I began to ask her about it, she closed up and started crying. My fear for her well being made me frantic and as a result, I lashed out and embarrassed her. She begged me to stop talking about it and so it did. It wasn’t until we got home from the cruise that my sister agreed to talk to me about it. She expressed that she was hurt by others all of her life because she was overweight and that cutting herself made the pain momentarily go away. After hearing this, I knew that I had to do everything in my power to help my sister; my first thought was that she needs to see a therapist.  Unfortunately, my sister did not have insurance, so I began reviewing my employee benefits to see what I could do. Luckily, Embry Riddle offers a program called EAP (Employee Assistant Program), where any member of my family, living within my household can use the benefit; so I had my sister move in and she got the help she needed. To this day, I am confident that my sister is on the road to recovery.

In both of these situations, I let my emotions cloud my judgment; I reacted out of character and hurt myself and others as a result. Luckily, in the second situation, I was able to make up for my emotional response by getting my sister the help she needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment