Thursday, January 9, 2014

A632.7.4.RB - Shuck, Allison

Collaborative Decision Making

Collaboration can be an effective means for finding a resolution. There is a lot of significant in obtaining advice and/or seeking counsel from a friend when making an important, life altering decision. For example, before when I was trying to decide whether I should take the position with Embry Riddle, I struggled for days. It wasn’t until I decided to contact my friend Wally for advice, that I reached a resolution.

Wally helped me outline the pros and cons of changing jobs. He told me that I needed to let go of my fear and consider all possible options; so that is exactly what I did. However, before I began, Wally told me that I had to start by determined what I wanted from my job: what type of environment, benefits, and salary, extra. Then, he told me to determine the risks if I were to leave and/or if I were chose to stay.  Once I determined the risks, he told me I could then began to list the pros and cons of each position.

Wally seemed to have his own a vision of resolution, much like the one I highlighted in the discussion board from Levin (2009). He helped me formulate a desirable outcome by giving me the advice I needed to work through my internal conflict. He helped me too: create a vision, address specific concerns/fears I had about each position, re-evaluate or adjust my vision according to my expectations, determine if my vision was workable, and bring light to what was missing; things I did not consider. Although Wally’s option of working for Embry Riddle was construed due to his job and the dismantle of the Space Shuttle Program, that did not prevent him from helping me create a vision of the future.

According to Levine (2009) “you collaborate in language by making implicit agreements (taking to yourself about what you think the agreement is) and explicit agreements (discussing the agreement with others)”. In the case, I reinforced my decision to take the job at Embry Riddle by discussing the situation with Wally and obtaining his input. To this day, I cannot think of anyone else more equip to give me advice, especially when the decision involves my career. Wally has always looked out for me and has always had my best interest at heart.

Overall, the lessons Wally taught me: letting go of my fear and considering all possible options, determining if my vision is workable and bring light to what is missing will help me when making difficult decisions in the future.

Reference
Levine, S. (2009). Getting to resolution: Turning conflict into collaboration. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers





No comments:

Post a Comment