Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A632.1.4.RB - Shuck, Allison

Multistage Decision Making
After reading this week’s material, I have come to the conclusion that I am pretty wise when it comes to making decisions. Throughout my life, I have had to make some tough, life altering decisions that not only affected myself, but those around me. For example, when I decided to quit my job at Everest University and accept the job offered to me by Embry Riddle, I took a big risk.  I knew that the impact of my decision, either positive or negative, would not only affect me, but would also affect my boyfriend Steven, whom I share financial responsibilities with. At the time, tons of thoughts were running through my mind, what do I do if I did not like my new job or the people I work with? What if I do not pass the 90 day probationary period? Determining which path to take become difficult, especially when I factored in my fear of the unknown. I knew that the only way to figure this out was too seek advice from others.
For some reason, I find confidence from obtaining guidance from others. I guess my confidence comes from that fact that most of my friends know me better than I know myself, especially my friend Wally. Wally has always been there for me and I knew I could count on him for advice. Before I began telling Wally my situation, he told me to grab a piece of paper and a pin to write down my thoughts. He advised me to make a pros and cons list of why should I stay, why should I leave. He also said that no matter what choice I make, everything would work itself out. After making my list, I realized that Embry Riddle was the right choice; Embry Riddle was a part of my future and that Everest was a part of the past. At that moment, I knew that in order to grow in my professional career, I had to change my way of thinking. I must start focus on what is to come, instead of focusing on the here and now.


No comments:

Post a Comment